Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My heaping mess reminded me

As I have written about before, I do not like Wednesdays.  I consider it to be the worst day of the week in general.  This term may be a bit of an exception.  I have an afternoon clinical on Wednesdays for all except 2 weeks this term, which equals sleep in.  Yay!  It's especially nice since I gotta be up at 4:30 AM on Thursdays and around 5 AM on Saturdays.  I am NOT a morning person.  4:30 shouldn't even count as morning.  It's still the dead of the night if you ask me. Anyway, that was an overly long preface for my little story.  In my time home before clinical this morning, I was getting caught up on some things that needed to be done around the house.  As I was vacuuming, I was thinking (again.  I have thought about this a lot) about how it's funny how easy it is for everything to fall to shambles.  What I mean is that a week and a half ago, I was on break from school, and at that time, my clothes were clean, my dishes were clean, my fridge was stocked, my apartment was nearly spotless, and I wasn't really behind on much of anything, unless you count my scrapbook, which is sorely neglected.  And here I was, a week and a half later- I only had clean underwear because my husband stayed up until all  hours washing them.  Our kitchen was (is) a pig pen.  Our fridge pretty much contains a few slices left of our bread loaf, 2 bags of mozzarella cheese, and my 40-bzillion water bottles.  We have no food, our stuff was strewn everywhere, and it was (and still is to some extent) just a big, chaotic mess.  What a change- all in a week and a half.

So I got to doing one of those cheesy analogies in my head.  I think that's the way it is with many aspects of our lives.  If we don't do constant maintenance, things can fall apart really quickly.  Certainly groceries run out and laundry piles up if those things are neglected.  But spirituality can really suffer too, if we neglect it.  If I were to go a week and a half without reading my scriptures, I know I would feel the difference.  If I choose not to repent, my sins pile up to a heap that is intimidating, and takes much longer to clean up.  If I take the time to take care of these things every day, I hold it together a lot better than I do when I neglect them.  I am a better person.  I know everyone already knows and understands this principle, but it really hit me again this morning as I cleaned up my physical messes that had piled up.  And I'm glad it did because now I feel a resolve to do better.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I love cheesy analogies. I think this is a great one. I might plagiarize you in a lesson soon. :)

It's funny though. You are always so presentable, that I think what you consider a chaotic mess is something I could probably look at in my own house and say, "Hey, not bad!"

Lol..... I'll try not to extend the metaphor beyond there.... Doesn't look so good for me. :)

Generational stitcher said...

I'm with Natalie...My house falls apart even when I am doing things on a regular basis, so much so my kids have picked up the phrase, "This place looks like a bomb hit it"
I like your analogy, it's so true. As life gets steadily more busy, it seems like as long as we are doing the bassics that Heavenly Father is more willing and able to help us get through the other things, weather it be Laundry or getting to the store. Which probably sounds a little dumb, but I hate doing both of those things. Tom and I have taken turns staying up to rotate laundry, that's what marriage is about, he'll do it for me and I for him, but not for ourselves..