Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Today's hodgepodge of thoughts

It has been a cloudy, drizzly sort of day here in Philly today, but just a few moments ago, the sun came out.  It is 70 degrees so it has really turned into a gorgeous day.  I know I'm speaking too soon, but yay for spring.  I am so ready for it.  

I went to a full day of classes today and I am just taking a few minutes to relax before hitting the books.  I knew they were serious about this program being hard core, but I really realized that all the more yesterday when I came home from my first day of classes with 15 chapters of textbook reading for a single class for this week. (Nope folks, it's not an April fools joke). Add that to the stuff from the other 3 classes I have now attended at the 2 I have not been to yet, and this could get ugly really fast.  And they brag about how this is the easy term with the light workload.  What have I gotten myself into?
Seriously though, I am still so thrilled.  I dug into several of those 15 chapters last night and it's interesting stuff.  I never once thought "when will I ever use this stuff?"  Today I had my first lab, which means I got to put on my cute little nursing student uniform (not actually that cute considering that the top is a putrid shade of "gold"- aka yellow- but I do get to wear a lab coat, which is fun) and pretend to be a nurse with a few other totally clueless students traipsing around in gold tops.  It was sorta awkward but actually pretty fun.  I guess I shouldn't speak about it being awkward yet.  In a couple of weeks, we get to wear those gown things they make you wear when you get a physical or whatever, and do even more thorough exams of each other.  Today we were just examining hair and fingernails and such.  I guess it's time to lose my personal space bubble, and also my inhibitions about invading that of other people.  I really thought it was fun, despite my complaints about awkwardness, and ugly tops.  
Tomorrow, I get to do my first clinical, which is actually going to just be a lab this week, but will be in a care center (I think) next week. 
Wow, this blog post is dry.  Not that any of them are really exciting, but this one feels particularly like a grocery list of what I have done.  
Speaking of lists, I actually want to make one.  I love lists.  So I think that I am just gonna list a few things I am happy about/grateful for.  

-MY HUSBAND!  Wow, he is the sweetest thing.  He got up at early AM with me yesterday and went and got me some breakfast for my first day of classes.  He came home from work early last night so he could hear all about it and make me dinner.  I don't know what I would do without him.
-The weather right now.  I know I already waxed on about that so I'll just leave it there.  
-Dishwashers, bathtubs, and ample closet space- all things that my next apartment will have (hopefully).
-Raspberries.  The ones at the grocery store looked so good that we just had to buy them.
-Philly.  I love living here.  This city had changed my perspective so much.  I have met some of the nicest people since I have been here.  Sure, it has its problems, but there's just a lot of good too.
-My wedding ring.  I like to stare at the diamonds.  
-That I have the support system that I need to make it through this nursing program. (Thank you parents and Zack)
-My siblings- thanks for calling me yesterday BJ, for chatting it up with me on Facebook Michelle, and for talking to me on Sunday Matthew.
-History- it will always be a love affair.  
-Cheryl.  Gosh I need to call that woman.
-Fried foods.  Yummy!
-Fruit snacks. Yummier!
So there you have it.  Not at all comprehensive or anything- just a few things that came to mind.  It just seems like a good day to be happy and grateful. 

3 comments:

Becca said...

I was hoping for an update on the first couple days of school! yay! :)

and yay for loving our husbands, philly, staring at our diamonds, and making it through the ACE program because of amazing familial/spousal support :)

Preethi said...

I adore lists!! Here's one of my own:

a) "Philly. I love living here. This city had changed my perspective so much. I have met some of the nicest people since I have been here. Sure, it has its problems, but there's just a lot of good too." This makes me adore you. I love when people love Philly.

b) Congrats on your first day of classes. :)

c) I frequently have to stop myself from looking at my left hand.

d) I've come to adore American history in the last year or so.

e) The end.

LaChelle said...

What a great list! ShaNae, you have inspired me. Good luck with nursing, and hurray for great husbands, right?