Friday, April 18, 2008

Michelle's birthday is 3 weeks away.  What do you want girl?  Better give me an idea or else I'll get you-know-what (hint: MUSHP).

Hooray for the weekend and the 80 degree weather!  Zack and I are going out on the town tonight and I am determined to do so guilt-free.  I have very nearly achieved my goal of being 1 week ahead of the game in school- meaning that each Monday, I will be working on the homework for the next Monday, and so forth with each day of the week.  Wow, it has been an uphill battle to get to that place since that means trying to complete all of week 1's work while also trying to prepare for week 2.  I didn't achieve that completely and it has taken me until the end of the 3rd week to even get this close but I am almost there.  So I should be able to enjoy a night out without spending the whole time thinking about the work I should be doing (although there is plenty).
School is fabulous.  I have a group of very on target, very supportive professors.  There's just 1 lady who is so nice and is probably a fabulous nurse but isn't the best teacher.  I can forgive her for that though since I don't think I would make a good teacher either.  My clinical instructor is not like the others though.  At clinical, other people are worried about giving their first shower ever, or perfecting vital signs.  I am preoccupied with trying to avoid her condescending remarks and relentless stare.  I can understand her being tough, wanting us to get our hands dirty and all that, but I do not understand how being a jerk about things helps, especially in an already high stress situation.  Nevertheless, I enjoy myself there even.  It's one thing to sit in class and talk about theory and how to be good nurses and so forth.  It's a whole different thing to be out there with the patient, and that's what it's really all about.
This clinical rotation is just a general one.  Starting next term, we hone in on different areas of nursing practice.  I think I've already written about this a little.  I am very excited about that because I have no idea what kind of nursing I want to do.  I'm sure I won't end up in labor and delivery though.  I hope I don't offend anyone when I say hello cliche Mormon girl nurse.  Not for me.  I'm sure helping to deliver babies is awesome and whatever, but that's not the only thing out there.  And unless that clinical rotation turns out to be some sort of weird heaven on earth type thing, I think there's no chance I'm going that direction ultimately.  I just want to say that there is something just as rewarding, or even more so, about helping a person have a high quality of life at some point besides birth, and that being part of the process of helping someone die with dignity after a full life can be a touching experience.  Those are the kinds of things that move me.  
I really don't have much exciting to say.  My schedule seriously consists of getting up, going to school, coming home, and then studying until I go to bed.  I could recap that every time I write on here but then all 2 people that read my blog (wow, the readership is increasing) would quit doing so out of sheer boredom.

2 comments:

Generational stitcher said...

You seriously crack me up! My mother in law was a 7th floor nurse at Provo Hospital for years and years...it was where everyone was sent to die and she loved it from what she's told me. GO YOU!! Get outside the mold!!

Anonymous said...

ShaNae, there are scads of ways to be a nurse. You'll find a great fit. Then, when you get tired of that, you'll find another fit. Nursing is so versatile. Especially for someone as smart and compassionate as you are! - Beth