Thursday, April 3, 2008

Repetition, macs, and drinking glasses

I was sitting in class today being slightly annoyed that we were going over a bunch of information that we had already covered in lab earlier this week.  It was slightly more irking because I am already somewhat familiar with a lot of these basic concepts (vital signs, bed making, body mechanics, how to bathe people, etc) since I had been working as a CNA for like 4 years now.  Then it dawned on me- there's absolutely no reason to be annoyed.  Sometime in the very near future, we are going to get to material in that class that I won't be as familiar with or that I won't know at all, and when that time comes, I should be jumping for joy if we go over the material more than once since it will give me an extra chance to get to know it better.  Also, I should quit being a stuck up snob and admit that there is always something new to learn, even about this stuff I already feel like I know.  So now I am happy that we covered the material twice.  I am sure I will be hearing about it again too.  Bring it on.  Let's do that with all the topics.

I also have to say that people should quit forgetting about us Mac users.  I have run into problem after problem this week with compatibility issues and so forth since the PC users of the world seem to forget that we exist.  I think it's voluntary forgetfulness because they have Mac envy.
Isn't it funny how fast glasses break? (I mean the kind you drink out of).  When we got married, Zack and I found these glasses at Target that we just loved.  We really wanted them.  So we got some for our wedding (thank you, whoever that was), but for most of our gifts, we just returned them to a Target in Utah, took the store credit, and bought the exact same thing once we got here so we could avoid the cost of shipping all the stuff.  The glasses were no exception.  Problem was, once we got here, we could not find those glasses.  Well that's not quite true.  We found one box.  But we really wanted 2.  We looked at a couple of different stores.  We even checked more than once, thinking that they maybe were just out of stock the first time we looked... no luck.  It was all the more annoying because we had already bought the first box, so we would have to buy a box of glasses that didn't match the first box rather than just settling for 2 boxes of completely different glasses.  We told Zack's mom about it and she kept an eye out for them at various Utah Target locations.  She had no luck either.  This went on for several days, then weeks, and then a month when suddenly we caught a break.  Zack's mom had found a box of them at a Utah store, and she had mailed them to us.  In addition, they all arrived in one piece.  We were sitting pretty. (As a side note, when we went to Target a few weeks later, we found some of the glasses too.  They were in a different box than the first batch, but it was definitely the same thing.  Too bad they didn't have those in stock earlier.)  A few weeks ago, one of them broke.  It was so sad.  They are cute and after all that effort to get them, it broke.  Another glass got a big crack when I was putting the dishes away. And then, when Zack put a piece of ice in his drink, another of the glasses spontaneously cracked.  We are still using that one, but the crack seems to be growing longer and longer as time goes by and it's only a matter of time until it is unusable.  We have been married almost 8 months now.  2 glasses down.  So let's say we break a glass once every 4 months for our entire married life (probably more once we have kids).  That's 150 glasses by the time we hit our 50th wedding anniversary!  So I have decided not to get attached to any more glasses.  I'll enjoy these ones until the last crack though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glass glasses are cool even though they break.

1. They will eventually decompose.
2. They don't give a plastic taste to the drinks.
3. They are pretty to look at.

Your blog helps me understand why you asked about which way people store their glasses on the Woolley family website.

Loved reading your blogs. Think I'll make it a regular thing.

Generational stitcher said...

I think it's weird when they break so randomly. We've been married 8 years and have all our glasses still...which is even more weird when I think about it. I love reading your blog! You are a great writer!