Saturday, July 25, 2009

Team of Rivals


I started it over a year and a half ago after getting it as a Christmas gift.  It didn't take me so long because it wasn't good.  It was really good.  I just had a really busy year and a half, most of it taken up by nursing school, which left little time for leisure.  Additionally, it was heavy, so it wasn't ideal for carting along on those trolley rides, and other times that are really good for that sort of thing.  Also, I am in the habit of reading several things at once, and I happened to finish a number of other books before polishing off this one.  So last night, at long last, I read the last page of Team of Rivals

Oh. my. goodness.
I just adore it.  I cried when Abraham Lincoln died, because I love him more than ever after reading this book.   It is a delightful read, accessible to people who love history and also to those who really just don't know that much about it.  I recommend it.  Don't take as long as I did to read it though.  I really blew through the last little bit because I was so engrossed, and I wish I had read the whole thing that way.  Yes, I may be a little biased, because I really like to read about Civil War America, and I love Abraham Lincoln ever so much, but give it a try anyway if you feel like it.
What should I read now?

2 comments:

natalie said...

A Theology of Liberation! Wow!!!

It's incredible.

Also, I looked for Swan's Way by Proust at Seattle's library, and it was checked out. :(

I'm reading The Red Tent now, and it's also fantabuloso.

Oh, but I forgot, you actually have to read Time Travelers Wife next. I would love to rave over it with you. Seriously. Do it.

...........


And then watch The Fall.


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anthony Campisi said...

I've been meaning to read A Team of Rivals for awhile. I've now officially added it to my reading list. You in the mood for fiction or non-fiction? I just started a really good novel.