In my life, there are only a handful of people that I remember meeting for the first time. Most of the time, it is an unremarkable story, and there doesn't seem to be any particular reason why I remember it. Natalie is one of those people. When Z and I first moved out to Philly, we lived in student housing, and you had to swipe your ID and enter a PIN number to get in the building. For the first few days, I did not have a functioning PIN, so I had to go to the desk of the building, explain my story, and sign in each time. During one of our trips to the apartment building across the way to pick up some packages (the package room was in that building), I went to the desk as usual to explain my story and see if I could get in the building. This time, Zack knew the girl behind the desk from the singles ward and introduced me to her. That was it. I don't know why I remember it but I do.
I tell that story because it's amazing to me how many great friendships often begin insignificantly. I don't remember the next time Natalie and I met. I don't remember the first time I met Natalie's husband Robert. I don't remember the first time we hung out. But over time, we got to know each other and we became great friends.
In some ways, it's a shame that endings aren't as insignificant as beginnings can be because endings can be painful. Earlier this week, our dearest Natalie and Robert moved all the way across the country to Seattle. We are really going to miss them.
We will miss the phone calls to come hang out.
We will miss Robert's summaries of the latest episode of the Daily Show or some stand up comedy act.
We will miss the political discussions with someone who actually agrees with us (on most things)-- or who actually knows what they're talking about.
We will miss their cute kitties (named, appropriately, Dickens and Kal-El... did I spell that right?).
We will miss being able to be ourselves when we're around them.
We will miss their adventurous taste in foods-- and talking them into something more boring for our less adventurous tastes.
We will miss Natalie's frequent insistence that we watch The Fall.
We will miss trying to convince Robert that Superman is actually not the greatest superhero (Go Batman!).
We will miss them coming to our apartment in the winter to stay warm.
We will miss Natalie's feminist and socialist tendencies.
We will miss watching ridiculous youtube videos with them.
We will miss their love for Philly.
We will miss having someone to tell the same stories to over and over.
We will miss their influence in our ward.
We will miss their influence in our lives.
So, to our fabulous friends, goodbye and good luck. We love you and wish you the very best in Seattle and beyond. We hope you know that we fully support you in the decisions you have made and we are proud to call you our friends. We feel so blessed that we have had you here in our lives.
3 comments:
"WAAAAAAHHHH!"
You guys beat us to the punch! I remember the time we met too, and I think I remember the first time we "hung out". You were my visiting teacher (I don't count that as hanging out though) and we had just met with Rebecca Sloane at the Bucks on 40th and Locust, and then I invited you to come over with Zack for board games later that night. And we played Scatergories in our apartment in Harnwell. :)
Btw, I totally tried to login to your netflix account so that I could add The Fall, and couldn't figure it out. Did you change it after you told us the password?! :P
Oh, AND I am bike shopping and found a bright pink bike. Don't know if it's the one I'll get yet, but you would love it.
Sigh..... obviously, I already have a ton of catching up to do. Look out for a long facebook message from me. :)
Wow, you guys did a much better job at saying you'll miss us than I did on our site. I suck!
We will totally miss all the things we've been able to do with you guys though. The best thing about you guys, is how you guys would invite us to dinner all the time. You guys did a much better job of staying in touch as friends than we did.
I want to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. We'll miss you too! But we will see each other again. Also, I'm stalking you guys online. :)
it's so sad they're gone!!! our young married unchild university city groupie is dwindling!! pretty soon you're going to leave us too!!
Post a Comment