Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thursdays are crazy, so busy, no free time, definitely no time to blog... which, of course, is exactly why I'm here.  I know I'll regret it when I am still up at 3 AM, but here I am anyway.  I really am quite good at putting of my schoolwork if I do say so.

July will be over after today, which is just absolutely insane.  What happened to July? Seriously. Now we will go into August.  I used to think August was a kind of boring month.  I wouldn't classify it as the worst month of the year or anything (I think March might take the cake on that one, although that is debatable), but it was just sorta boring.  That's why I decided to get married in August- that way, the month will have a little pizzaz for the rest of our lives. So yay for August.
I am all done with midterms, including the retake of that little Pharmacology mishap.  This week, I enjoyed a delightful clinical shift taking care of a postpartum mother with 2 adorable little twins.  Everyone hates being on postpartum, but I think I like it.  The nursery can get kind of boring.  Brand new babies are definitely cute, but they don't talk, and after a while, it feels a little lonesome/boring. Today in mental health clinical, a couple of other students led the therapeutic group for the adolescents in our facility and they chose a very... um... unique kind of therapy.  They put the letters of the alphabet on a whiteboard and went through each letter one by one.  The kids came up with cuss/derogatory words for each letter of the alphabet (no one thought of anything for x or z).  The rule was that they were allowed to say any word they wanted to.  Then the students leading the group would have the kids talk about what the words really mean, how we (they) use them, and why those words are hurtful.  Despite the fact that I am offended by quite a number of those words, I thought the group was very interesting, I know the kids really enjoyed it, and I think they even took a thing or two away from it (besides an ever-expanding vocabulary of expletives).  I know I whine about it a lot, but school is really fun sometimes.

1 comments:

Natalie said...

It sounds like you get to have so many interesting experiences! Lol. That one with the teens is interesting.... Think I should use it with the YW? :P