
I feel so honored to be in the very place where, 232 years ago today, America declared its independence. I honestly can't think of a better place to spend the 4th of July (although it would be better if we could celebrate with our families-- leave now guys, and you can still make it in time for the fireworks here). I am moved by the thought of the boldness and sacrifice of those men who dared declare themselves independent on this day those years ago. Many others have worked and sacrificed since then to maintain that independence. I do not mean to minimize those efforts and sacrifices. Yet as I reflect on my country this day, I feel somewhat saddened. We have become a nation so full of arrogance that we have alienated others of the world, trampling down opportunities for verbal discourse and friendship. We pump our federal budget and our citizens into maintaining wars overseas while we have major problems right here at home. We live in a time when many developed countries have instituted programs to provide for their citizens by providing healthcare coverage for all, thus increasing the overall well being of the country. The United States lags far behind in this department and, as a result, is lagging behind those other nations is infant mortality rate, prevention-focused health measures, and other things. We are consuming more of the world's resources (including per capita, mind you) than the people of other nations, effectively destroying the planet for the other people on it and for our very own posterity. And still, people diminish patriotism to wearing red, white, and blue and they turn it into a major issue when a presidential candidate refuses to wear a flag pin. They cannot see what he sees, that patriotism is about much more than apple pie, flag pins, and getting a tear in your eye when you hear "God Bless America" playing. If we really feel proud to be Americans, we should start showing it. We should start taking care of our fellow citizens and actually setting a good example for the people of the world. Patriotism is much more than wearing red, white, and blue and proclaiming that we love America. It's showing that we love it by participating in the process and doing what we feel is right to improve the nation that so many have worked to build.
Friday, July 4, 2008
The City of Independence
That being said, I love my country, and am so happy that I have the opportunity to live here. I'm going to put on my red, white, and blue and get out there in this historic city and have fun. But when today is over, I hope that I can really show my patriotism by working to find ways to make my country a better place.
Posted by ShaNae at 9:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Honey, don't you remember anything about our country? If you love it, you're supposed to wax on about how everything is perfect in it. That's how it's made all this progress.
Remember how there used to be slaves? Thank heavens for those brave slave-owners who bravely beat their slaves and continued forcing them to work or else there would probably still be slavery in this country like those annoying abolitionists didn't want.
Agreed. :) I love you guys.
Love this post. :)
Post a Comment