Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back To Real Life

Here we go again.  Zack still has a few more days of freedom (if you don't count work) before he goes back to school, but I started back up on Monday, and it's gonna be a crazy 11 weeks.

This term, I only have 2 clinical rotations- Gerontology (old people) and Critical Care.  One is pretty close, the other is not (and is early on Saturday morning again), but at least this time I don't have to worry about how I am going to get there and I don't have to worry about buying a car (an extremely time consuming process) while attending school.  But never fear... I have 3 full days of classes (one of the days is a mere 4 hours of classes with a 2 and a half hour break in between and the other 2 are 8 hours of classes with a 1 hour break in the middle), more readings/assignments/homework than ever, a comprehensive adult health HESI at midterms this time, skills checkouts that begin next week, and a contract to answer somewhere near 250 NCLEX practice questions per week.  They wouldn't let only 2 clinicals hold me back from having my entire life engulfed by this program.
Can you tell I am not entirely excited to be back?  But I promise I am trying to look on the bright side.  Only 11 more weeks, assuming I pass my comprehensive HESI on the first try, and then I am DONE.  I mean done done.  Like no more school ever unless I want to.  And my parents will get to come out for my pinning ceremony, which will be so great.  And unlike most of the other students in my cohort, I will probably have to wait a little bit after I graduate before I get a job since we will be moving not long after I am done.  That means that I can spend this term focusing on my work instead of on applications and resumes and interviews like the other people are.  I will have a couple months after I'm done to think about that.  The weather might start looking somewhat spring-like sometime during this term, which always make me happy.  And we will make time to have some fun even when I am so busy.  So I know when I look back on it, I will think that it sped by and that it wasn't half bad.  
In other news, we did enjoy the last bit of our break.  We finally found a chance to go to the temple, which we were really looking forward to since we don't get that opportunity as often as we'd like here.  We ate lots more good food (too much, as evidenced by my weight when we got home :) ), spent time with our families, and crammed very nearly everything into our suitcases.
At the airport, my suitcase ended up being 6 pounds overweight, which is a $90 fee, so I decided to shift some things to my carry on so I wouldn't have to pay the fee.  I took my NCLEX practice book out, and it was under the weight limit.  That's all it took.  I can't believe I lugged that thing on my vacation and then didn't even crack it!  I had good intentions.  I really did.  But other things took the priority.
We love Philadelphia and are happy to be home.  Thanks to all our family and friends in Utah. We love you and will miss you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you came. And how great is it that you'll both be graduating withing a few months! It'll all be worth it in the end.

Becca said...

hahahaha - I love that your NCLEX book was 6 lbs.

you should fly w/ southwest- their overweight fee is only $25 :) haha, and they have no checked bag fees until the 3rd one.

I have a testimony of southwest.