Hey guys. Share a comment about a favorite Christmas tradition or memory. I will be posting some of my own later, but it'll be nice to get some input from someone more interesting than I.
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Reader #1, reporting for duty. :)
Hmm....
From my childhood, some of my favorite traditions were based on our parties with our huge extended family - the Christmas Eve gathering, with games and food, lots of singing, and the inevitable, highly anticipated visit from Santa - the Christmas morning re-gathering for breakfast. Good times.
A classic is getting new PJs on Christmas Eve.
Rob and I have celebrated a few on our own, and some of our traditions now are pretty good - we make a delicious meal of rotisserie chicken, loaded mashed potatoes, and stuffed mushrooms, and read parts of A Christmas Carol together, and burn a cinnamon candle. It's nice. :)
Childhood - cooking Thanksgiving dinner while listening to the first strains of Christmas music, and putting up decorations the next day.
Adult life - participating in Handel's Messiah.
This may seem strange, but one of my favorite things about Christmas is how we open gifts. This is the scenario: Oldest person (dad) goes under the tree and picks a gift for anyone, that person opens their gift and ohhs and awws along with everyone else and thanks the giver, second oldest person (mom) goes under the tree and picks a gift for someone, that person opens their gift and gushes all over it and hugs the giver, 3rd oldest person goes under the tree and so on and so on and so on until all the gifts are unwrapped, viewed and played with. It can take hours to open presents, sometimes it is even stopped for breakfast inbetween and than back to the gift giving. I love seeing the smiles on the faces of people I give gifts to.
We always got PJs from my mom that she made on Christmas eve and we have gone up to my grandma's house in Logan on Christmas Eve for a family get together and sing-a-long for as long as I can remember. Both have always been fun.
One of my favorites is going to grandma's house and having Tom and Jerry's. I loved seeing my cousins and spending time with family. I still love to go to my mom's and continue this tradition. Love you. Hate the new tradition of you not being here at Christmas. Mom
I love reading the Christmas story together upstairs and praying together before going downstairs to open presents on Christmas morning. I love the corny picture we take of everyone coming down the stairs in their pajamas.
This year, I'm going to love being in Philadelphia with you two, having everyone together when Sam calls from France!
Post a Comment