Sunday, October 18, 2009

ShaNae and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

Wednesday.

Woke up at 5:45 AM.
At work, I shadowed the wound care specialist- most boring thing ever. She would flit around looking for supplies for 20 minutes, dress the wound in like 2 minutes, and then write a note about it for like half and hour. It went on and on. The clock seemed not to move. It dragged. But I survived it, and I went home feeling elated, knowing that my troubles were over for the day.
Zack had class that evening. I thought I might be a nice wife and drop him off.
I forgot my house keys.
And I was in my pajamas.
And I left my cell phone at home.
I remembered that I had forgotten my house keys soon after dropping Zack off so I went back to the building where his class is. There is only on-street parking, and none of that was available, so I just pulled up to the curb in a non-legal spot and flipped my hazards on while I figured out what to do.
I got out of the car a couple of times in my red and white striped pajama bottoms, big fuzzy socks, and bright pink shoes to try and borrow a cell phone to call Zack. A few people got outta there as fast as they could. A couple of kind souls let me use their phones, but Zack was in class so he did not answer.
After 15 or 20 minutes, I decided that I couldn't just sit there forever. I thought about maybe driving to the church (just a few blocks away) where the other ward was having their mutual activities and see if I could convince someone to send a text message to Zack for me. He might look at a text in class. He'd definitely do that before he'd answer a call. So I started the car. Or I tried to at least.
The battery was dead.
At that point, I was basically stuck. I could not leave the car and walk anywhere because it was not in a legal parking space. I could not call anyone for help because I did not have a phone, people walking by were getting more scarce, and I was tired of people looking at me like a looney bin in my ridiculous outfit. So I had to just wait it out.
Zack's class was 3 hours long.
During those 3 hours, I went through a range of emotions- anger, freaked out, bitter, amused, calm, wound up, relaxed, crying, laughing- you name it. Mostly it didn't seem very funny at the time.
Zack finally got out of class, listened to a voice mail I had left, found me, we got a jump start, and we finally made it home.
I went to bed.
I was ready for that day to be over.
Of course, in retrospect, it just seems funny.

5 comments:

Savanna said...

so sad!! i so wish we could have helped you out somehow. that sounds rotten!

Kelsey said...

wow, that sounds like an adventure.

natalie said...

Oh man! That is terrible! What a disappointing for what you were hoping would be a nice, relaxing evening! :( Sad for you!

Also, Rob and I were just talking about this book last night, and we couldn't think of the full title. What name did you replace with ShaNae?

ShaNae said...

Alexander

Beth said...

I'm glad you are able to have a sense of humor about it now. I've gone to pick up Dave in my pajamas lots! Thanks for the heads up to make sure I have the right keys.

As Alexander says:

"My mom says some days are like that -- even in Australia."

: )