Monday, October 5, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year

I pretty much love Halloween. I am almost done decorating my house. My cute friend Savanna is throwing an awesome bash this year.
The other night, we went to Haunted Poe. It was basically a haunted house style thing, except for you stopped for little theatre-like portrayals of Poe's works throughout. It was actually very well done, and we thought it was a fun way to kick off the month of October. It helps that we got discount tickets.
Stuff I love about Halloween:
- DECORATIONS! Oh my goodness... keep me away from stores right now. I already have a small collection of adorable Halloween decorations. I think my very favorite is my ghost oven mitt. My next wish is for bathroom decorations (glow in the dark shower curtain, candy corn shower rings, that kind of thing), dishes so I can throw a spooky Halloween dinner in the future, and an amazing Halloween village. Someone in our ward had us for dinner recently and they had this awesome haunted house thing that lit up and made scary noises. Yup, I want it.
- Candy- It's no secret that I have a sweet tooth. Just take a look at my figure. That gives it away. Not that I need an excuse like Halloween to stuff my face full of candy.
- Baby Halloween costumes. I think I've mentioned this before but Zack always says that we'll have a baby in July (9 months after October) because I think the little Halloween costumes are the most adorable thing and he thinks that one of these years, they will make me baby hungry. This year? Don't bet on it. I just committed 18 months full-time to my new job.
- Cemeteries- Okay, okay, I admit it, I like cemeteries all year round. But this is the month to proclaim that love loudly without people thinking that I am ultra morbid.
- Jack o lanterns- i like them
- Phillies world series parade. That was last year on Halloween. Hopefully we can do it again this year.
- Glow in the dark stuff- I mean c'mon. Who doesn't love it?
- The color orange- You know, most of my life I have grouped orange at the bottom of the color barrel with other putrid colors like yellow, but I think it's growing on me. Or maybe I just like it in October.
- Halloween socks- I have officially outgrown my sock phase, which began sometime in high school (or possibly before) and lasted until semi-recently. But I still break out the goofy socks for this time of year.
- Halloween scrubs- Scooby Doo is on the agenda for tomorrow. Wish I had more. Do they make glow in the dark scrubs? That'd be awesome.
-Halloween music- I honestly think that the theme song for the movie Halloween is the scariest song ever written. It sends chills down my spine any time I hear it. I can't turn it on now because I am home alone. Other favorites on my soundtrack: Thriller, Casper the Friendly Ghost, the track from the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/world, oh my goodness, there are just too many to name (not really but a list of my Halloween soundtrack would be boring... not that this list isn't).
- Halloween movies. I have to be patient to see a lot of these because I have to wait for them to come on TV edited (gotta avoid that R rating you know). I just saw Friday the 13th for the first time. I was kinda disappointed. Turns out that he doesn't become the iconic Jason with the hockey mask until the 3rd movie. Still pretty scary. I love the movie Halloween. *shiver* And Nightmare on Elm Street is just terrifying. Don't worry, I also like the lighter fare like Hocus Pocus and The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.
Stuff I don't like as much about Halloween:
- I don't really like to get dressed up. Kids in costumes=cute. Me in costume= waste of time and/or money.
- The goo inside of pumpkins makes my hands and arms itch.
- Speaking of pumpkins, I am not a huge fan of pumpkin foods (pie, for example) and this kicks off the season of such things.
- The doorbell ringing every 5 seconds. Call me a pooper sport. Fortunately, I live in a place where I don't really deal with that. At least I think so. I didn't get any trick-or-treaters at either of my other locked down apartment buildings. But I also didn't live in such a residential neighborhood and I never had a door to the outside before.
- Cold weather. Not always though. Last year on Halloween, it wasn't even jacket weather in the daytime.
Despite those dislikes, I still think it's a pretty great holiday.


4 comments:

Beth said...

Hooray for Halloween! Amy has always loved it too. So it has a soft spot it my heart. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Did you know that your Grandma Carol loves cemeteries too (ok, so do I)?

I didn't love Halloween until we moved here, where we get about 600 trick or treaters on Halloween. The street is closed off and it is like a great big festival. Parents, as well as kids, get dressed up. And since we live in a small town, lots of visiting and admiring of costumes going on.

Wish we could go shopping for Halloween decorations together (although I confess we already bought a plastic bat to hang on a pulley for Halloween night).

yfac

Robert said...

I feel so bad, I haven't been to your blog in so long. Natalie made me aware of it, and now I am reading everything I have missed. I do think of you guys often though, especially when I am watching house. :)

P.S. I'm not logging into my account, but you better know who this is!

Savanna said...

i must admit, shanae, i have been itching to listen to christmas music lately, but i know you would not approve and i have refrained (thus far..). p.s. glow in the dark shower curtain...cooool.