Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Live and Learn

Before Clara was born, I was an absolute expert on baby gear.  I knew exactly what I was going to need.  I knew exactly how each of these things would be used.  I relied on advice from others, my own past experiences, and tons of research about baby gear.  Enter the baby.  Exit all expertise.
Some examples:

Pre baby: My child will sleep flat on her back in her crib every night.  I have the firm mattress with a well-fitting crib sheet.  No stuffed animals, bumpers, pillows, blankets, etc.
Now: Baby has reflux and has to sleep partially upright.  A wedge under the mattress does not provide enough elevation so she sleeps in her bouncer.  The crib will come in handy after the reflux clears up (I hope) but for now, it's just taking up space.

Pre baby: We got this cute little bouncer chair for cheap on a sale.  It may or may not provide the baby with some entertainment.
Now: This item has been our salvation in a lot of ways.  Baby sleeps in it every night (yes, we know it is not made for that purpose), and she likes to sit in it when we need to put her down.  She loves the calming vibrations.  We took it with us to the beach the other week.  We took it with us to fireworks on the 4th of July.  We love that thing.

Pre baby: I need a travel system.  I want the baby carrier car seat with matching stroller.  We saw those snap and go type strollers around and thought they were a total waste of money.  After all, you can really only use them while your baby is in the infant seat, then they are useless.
Now: We actually came around to the idea of a snap and go stroller before the baby was born, but we got it to use on our upcoming trip to France.  We thought it would be good for travel.  Turns out that we love that thing so much, we have almost beat it into the ground in 2 and a half months.  And we've only taken our travel system stroller out once, to try it out.  I'm sure it'll come in handy more later once the baby outgrows her carrier, but for now, we love the compact size of the snap and go.

Pre baby: This outfit is cute.  I have to have it.
Now: This outfit is cute.  Will it be easy to get her in and out of it?  Will it be easy to change her diaper in it?

Did this happen to any of you?


3 comments:

Preethi said...

For what it's worth, the travel system stroller never did come in handy for us. Like you, I figured, hey, why would I used the snap n go when the travel system stroller can ALSO be used as a stroller? Because the travel system stroller is enormous and bulky and I'd never use it by itself (SO vastly prefer a simple umbrella stroller), much less WITH the car seat. I've considered selling our (used approximately 3 times) stroller so many times, but then I feel bad splitting the set.

Beth said...

Welcome to parenthood!

The list of things I thought I knew, but didn't know, grew more with each child. It's OK not to always know. It takes a lot of pressure off and erases the illusion I frequently fall into that tells me I'm in charge! :-)

You are such a great mom! I can't wait to see you three in Paris! Love you.

Rach and Clark said...

I'm so jealous of your upcoming vacay to France, but glad you guys figured out something that will work to haul little Clara around in! I love hearing about parents who travel abroad with young kids....it gives me hope that maybe I'll be able to do it, too!