Sunday, September 19, 2010

A quarter century

This day was not like the others that I have experienced. Each one has been different. Some were on weekends. Some were on school days. Some involved parties. Others involved breakfast in bed. Another involved a load of friends waking me up ultra early in the morning, taking me to breakfast, and making me wear a pirate shirt and bright orange and green pants to school. Occasionally it's been rainy. Mostly it's been sunny and gorgeous.
I always set my alarm for 5:06 AM, the time I was born. Not this year. I had to get up for the day only about a half hour after that and I figured the last half hour of sleep was more important.
I always have work off. Not this year. I got up at the same time I always do and got ready for work like I always do, and drove to work the same way I always do.
No one at work knew. So it wasn't a big deal. Then they called and asked me to stay for a double shift. And I don't really have to tell them why I don't want to. In fact, I don't have to have a particular reason. But this time, I decided to tell them so they wouldn't keep calling and begging me to stay (fyi, it didn't work. They called back a begged even after they knew). And someone overheard. And then everyone knew. Blah. So then I had to field a million questions about why I was at work and what I was going to do to celebrate (not much) and which club I was going to after work (I don't drink, remember?).
I usually want to celebrate... get together with people, laugh, and do something really fun. Not this year. I had a stressful day at work. Our state inspection started and I was absolutely pooped. I just wanted to do something low key.
So it was different than usual. But it sure wasn't bad. I am blessed to have a job. I am excited to use some vacation days in a couple of weeks to travel to Dallas, and use the one I saved by not taking my birthday off (and others) to go visit Utah next year. We really celebrated when we went to Baltimore, so I enjoyed a low key evening of dinner and walking around the mall adoring Halloween decorations in various stores with my husband. I was simply spoiled with gifts.

I got some gorgeous roses.

And 4 pairs of shoes.

Does my husband know me, or what? He also got me some clothes, perfume, lip gloss, and a new pillow. Plus he made me a cake.

Yup, I'm a spoiled brat.
So no complaints. Except for that I'm old. I'm having a quarter life crisis. But other than that, I had a fabulous day. Thanks babe!

3 comments:

Me said...

Happy belated birthday! You are so YOUNG, don't even feel old for a minute, the best days are ahead of you.

plover001 said...

All except work sounded like a nice BD. So glad you were born!!!!

Love,

YFAC

Aimee said...

Glad you had a good birthday. Isn't it the best to be spoiled by husbands?