Saturday, April 11, 2009

NCLEX woes

I want to take my NCLEX.  I have been unable to apply for jobs thus far because most places want you to already have your license before they will consider you, with the economy being what it is and all.  So I dropped off my paperwork at the school to have them fill out their part. It took 10 days to make its way back to me.   So I mailed it to the state and have been waiting for my authorization to test (ATT) for a while.  It actually came faster than I thought it would, but slower than I hoped it would.  I have been sitting at my e-mail pretty much all day every day waiting for it to come.  When it came, that basically meant I had permission to schedule my exam date.  At long last, it came last evening, so of course I got online right away to schedule my exam.  There was an appointment available this morning, but I felt like that was a little bit too fast, so I scheduled for Monday instead.

A little while later, I realized my driver's license was missing.  I took it with me in my purse when I went to the gym earlier in the day.  It must've gotten lost sometime during that outing. We ransacked our apartment... not here.  We retraced my steps from the car to the apartment- nope.  We called the gym and asked if anyone had turned it in.  No one had.  Just to be safe, we drove to the gym and looked around there, through the locker I used, out in the parking lot.  No sign of it.  It's a pain to have to go get a new license, but not really that big of a deal, right? Well that's the only form of ID that I had that they consider acceptable for entry into the NCLEX. The other 2 are a passport (nope, I don't have one) or a state ID (don't have one of those either).  And they do not accept temporary licenses either, so I thought that I would pretty much have to put off my NCLEX indefinitely while I went and signed up for a new license and waited for it to come in the mail.  Boy oh boy was I mad at myself for losing that license.
Anyway, after a little research, we decided that it looked like they wouldn't need to issue me a temporary license after all.  If I went into the driver's license office, they would just issue me a new, valid license then and there.  In an effort to avoid postponing my exam, we went to the driver's license office today (a Saturday).  Yes, I know, we are brave.  We went to one a couple miles away instead of going to the one downtown in hopes that it'd be less crowded.  It worked. I think we were there for maybe 15 minutes total, and I did indeed get a new license (not a temporary one).  So, assuming we avoid any other dramatic last minute events that keep me from it, I will be taking my NCLEX bright and early Monday morning and will know my (unofficial) score by Wednesday. 

2 comments:

Tricia and Jon said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :)

Savanna said...

woohoo it's done!! good job with the whole license thing... jesse and i still have nightmares from that experience. i think we had to keep going back to the dmv like five times total just to get our licenses because apparently we did not have the correct paperwork and everything. aahh!